On April 13th I attended my first PRSA YPN networking event at GolinHarris. The event was called “Social Media and Business Growth” and it was basically a Q&A with Amy Korin (@interactiveAmy) and Mari Luangrath (@foiledcupcakes).
As it was my first time at an event like this, I wasn’t sure what to expect. Were there going to be tons of people there? Was it going to be really intimidating? These questions and more were circulating through my mind as I entered the elevator and ascended towards GolinHarris. I was with my friend Sonal and since we both did not know what to expect, we entered the room together with curiosity. What did we find? Only an environment that PR professionals both young and experienced can provide.
Mari, the owner of Foiled Cupcakes, immediately approached us and introduced herself. We talked for awhile as we waited to everyone to arrive and then Mari left to go talk to some other girls. Next Amy, as in THE InteractiveAmy, came up and sat down with us. I immediately felt like I was talking to an old friend as we discussed Amy’s upcoming trip to Israel and more.
The Q&A on social media was very insightful. Amy showed a video clip on why social media is not a fad but a long-term development in networking. I posted a link to the video below–I highly recommend you watch it! I took away a few important concepts from this event and all of them reaffirm my love for social media.
- Every tweet can be branding for a company.
- A company utilizing Twitter or other means of SM should always have a strategy. What can you take away from social media? Are your customers happy? Or neglected? How are you going to respond to negative customer feedback?
- Always ask yourself “How am I adding value to my community?” before posting a tweet. Try to build an online community by finding people with similar interests and sharing your thoughts. Interaction is key!
- Have a two-way conversation.
- Amy and her husband Josh met through social media!
A big thank you to YPN, PRSA, Amy Korin, Mari Luangrath, and GolinHarris for making the event possible!
Fun Facts about Social Media
Did you know if Facebook were a country it would be the world’s 4th largest? Did you know Ashton Kutcher and Ellen DeGeneres have more Twitter followers than the entire population of Ireland, Norway and Panama? Check out some more unique facts by viewing this video on the Social Media Revolution.
“Social Media isn’t a fad, it’s a fundamental shift in the way we communicate.”
The Social Media Revolution