Ethnic Fusion: Flowers Communication Group

Ever heard of Flowers Communication Group?

FCG

On May 14th, I took the opportunity to visit Flowers Communication Group with DePaul PRSSA to learn more about the agency and their unique reputation in the field. Upon arrival, I was pleased to find out that the 87.7 FM Smooth Jazz radio station was going to be presenting a pitch to the agency and our group was allowed to listen in! From that announcement on, the agency visit just got better.

After getting introduced to Vice President Sharron Banks, our group got the low down on an average day in Flowers from Jenina Nunez, Senior Account Executive. In the past Jenina worked at Edelman and GolinHarris and now works on the Sears and Kmart account at Flowers. Jenina reinforced what I’ve heard from various PR professionals in an agency, that there is no common day at work, especially when managing big brands. Some tasks that Jenina deals with includes managing program development, analyzing what the media is responding to, figuring out budgets, maximizing the client’s dollar and meeting business objectives. One point that Jenina addressed that really stuck with me is that “the work doesn’t change [agency to agency], the audience you appeal to does.”

Jenina additionally started her own blog called The Relationship Diva which has been awarded the 2010 Best Blogs by Latinas Award. When I asked her for advice on getting your blog out there, Jenina suggested reaching out to other bloggers and commenting on their posts. She also recommended having a niche that you are passionate about.

Next up in the agency visit was the presentation from 87.7 FM Smooth Jazz. General Manager Pat Kelly started off the pitch to Flowers with a quick quiz about Jazz to grab our attention. Whoever answered the questions [which were fairly straightforward] got a Smooth Jazz CD to take home. The presentation was interesting from my point of view since I rarely get to listen to the radio anymore. Before coming to Chicago I would always listen to the radio in the car but as of now I don’t know any Chicago stations. One thing that really stood out to me in Pat’s presentation was the 87.7 FM target audience. The demographics for listeners were categorized as 45-64 year old African-Americans who were well-educated with a high income. This statement made me really think about the importance of finding the exact target audience when promoting a product or service.

I also enjoyed one of 87.7 FM’s quotes:

70% of life is routine; it is what we do with the other 30% that makes it interesting.

After receiving a delicious lunch, we finished up the agency visit with VP Christina Crawford and VP of Media Relations Ron Childs. Christina told us a little more about Flowers Ethnic Fusion strategy. As an agency that places emphasis on assessing marketing advantages in Hispanic and African-American communities, Flowers has a three-step process. As shown on their website:

1. Assess: Explore the common grounds

2. Embrace: Merge cultural nuances

3. Customize: Create an innovative marketing program

Flowers Communication Group is an up-and-coming agency that is already taking on some big name brands like McDonalds. Interested in their internship program? Visit their website and take a look around! They have a unique mentor program with the internship and it sounds like an amazing opportunity to try a different array of agency positions and tasks.

Thank you for letting DePaul PRSSA visit!

Advertisements

About LSnyder

I am a Freshman at DePaul University majoring in PR & Advertising. I'm obsessed with the following: the Holidays especially Christmas, food and its glorious temptations, New York City, the Pittsburgh Steelers, and a good book. I'm a writer, a photographer, an artist, and, most importantly, a creater.
This entry was posted in DePaul PRSSA, Public Relations. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Ethnic Fusion: Flowers Communication Group

  1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Ethnic Fusion: Flowers Communication Group | PRimo. -- Topsy.com

  2. Danyele Davis says:

    This is absolutely wonderful! It is apparent that you got a lot out of the visit. I hope to spend some time you on the next visit.

    • LSnyder says:

      Thank you! It was a great presentation and I am thinking about applying for an intern position in the fall!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s